blogspot visitor counter
Promenading on the Fine Line


Wednesday, October 2, 2013 @ 9:17 PM
Going optooo!

Shadowing with my UC-Berkeley-Optometry-first-year-student mentor this morning along with his fellow peers made me fall in love with optometry all over again.
Today I watched my mentor Ryan do a pre-clinic lab: slit lamps & vitreous shadows! I'm not too sure about slit lamps and its procedures, but they used the slit lamps to see into the eye, looking for various patterns in the eye that may help diagnose their health.
One thing we looked for are vitreous shadows, which when the patient moves his or her eye up and down, there seems to be like a cascade of shadows falling in your eye. I looked this up and this happens to explain those momentary hazes/flashes of light in your vision/I don't know how to explain it! They're just loose proteins that move around your eye; the older you get, the looser they are. I guess somehow they're correlated, but of course I don't know the specifics.

Haha, being an optometry student sounds like a full of fun facts to tell people!

Make sure you all get your eyes checked every once in a while! It's the most non-invasive way to get checked on your health; if there is something wrong with your health, your eyes are the first to have symptoms--we just can't see it. For instance, you may not know you have diabetes until it progessively worsens where you start feeling the full body symptoms; however your eyes can tell you a looot earlier that you may be developing diabetes.

How cool is that?!

Labels: ,