blogspot visitor counter
Promenading on the Fine Line


Friday, August 31, 2012 @ 2:48 PM
Love is colorblind.

"I'M AN ASIAN WOMAN AND I REFUSE TO EVER DATE AN ASIAN MAN"

Even if a charming, funny, intellectually curious, in so many words perfect man who has untied himself from the chains of Asian virtues came down my way -- even you, Daniel Liu whose hotness is practically a law of physics -- I would probably pass.

...I date white men because the term "model minority" grosses me out. I date white men because it feels like I'm not ostracizing myself into an Asian ghetto and antiquated ideas of Asian unity. I still see myself as a minority. And with that, pretty soon comes connotations of "outsider." And I don't like that.

...Dating white men means acceptance into American culture. White culture.
Reading this entire article struck so many chords. Nearly almost tore them out. I haven't had this feeling of suppressed anger due to societal issues in such a long time... Reading this not only was severely disheartening, but it also made me highly furious.

For those who don't know, I personally tend to have a preference towards Asian men (who acknowledge&appreciate their roots), mainly because of our similar cultures and values, and that we can personally understand each other, even if we never discussed about the topic. We just know that "it's an Asian thing." That, and I take family seriously and want them to feel welcomed to my future husband's family as well.
Other races may not be able to fully understand the hardships our families go through to get to America, or the suffering we first gen children went though to get good grades and high test scores. But I will admit that I also grew fond of other races in my past, and that race really shouldn't matter when it comes to love. And... Nobody else not close to you should matter. So what if you're still viewed as a minority? And, sorry to say, despite your efforts of diluting your Asian lineage, you'll always be considered a "minority" (aka Asian) of your time. It seems you don't understand your roots very much.

I don't know, I'm just wasting my time. If you're bold enough to post a long entry on this controversial matter, I don't think your mind will be swayed anytime soon.
Good luck not being viewed as Asian.

Labels: