blogspot visitor counter
Promenading on the Fine Line


Wednesday, April 25, 2012 @ 3:12 AM
A journey awaits.

As I filter through these photos taken from Cal VSA's Culture Show: Stolen, I can't help but ask myself, why... what... how do these photos differentiate themselves from others? Wedding photographers, portraits, event photographers... I can't help but be slightly disgusted with them and myself... Not at the people, but at the style. So forced, so general; what's the difference? Quality? Depth of field? Lens and cameras used; lighting, studios--what??
What? Are we trying to capture the "perfect" moment, a moment that hopefully no one else can capture? But what is this moment that we are looking for?
I mean, I don't understand why it's necessary to have 3 (legit) photographers (I understand the recorders) all trapped in the same venue. And we're all on the same level. The freak? The only thing different is the lens and camera used (and the angle I suppose). I don't know, I guess I got intimidated by someone's L-series Canon lens and thought what the hell the point was for me shooting if there's a camera&lens tons better than mine (which I borrowed from a friend lol). The person even took my shooting spot when I got up to take a break, so we captured at the same angle lulz. So much for variety in pictures. Whatever, I just kept on doing my own thing...
What goes through the minds of other photographers when they're shooting, I wonder?
I feel that when I am asked to shoot a specific event, my creativity is limited. My area, my surroundings, my movement, my location, my time--they're all limited.
I guess I'm truly a hobbyist; I merely seek for a journey in my pictures. I haven't found the inspiration to truly shoot what I want just yet, but I want to tell stories in my photos. I don't want smiling portraits with happy blurred green plants and clear blue skies; I don't want "beautiful" pictures that naturally occur in nature; I don't want gorgeous men and women to be boring, standalone subjects in my photos.

I just want something more. Something deeper. Something that reflects the complexities of life, and the untold stories that have yet to unfold. In my life, and in others.

I guess... it's time to start a portfolio. Just for myself. My own personal gain. Something to look back upon, and for it to be special for me and me only...

Labels: ,